[Resolved] Can not create Balsamiq project from Macro on existing page

In the new version it’s not possible to create a new mockup on an existing page using either the “Wireframe” or “Mockup” macro.

There are various (Javascript) errors on-page as well as in Confluence logs, but they seem to be unrelated and what the user sees is just a blank page with a box in the top right corner:

If I create a new page from the “Mockups” page template (using the “…” button), then it works properly, but our users are pretty used to the previous behaviour, and I don’t think it’s too much to ask to be able to add a mockup to an existing page

Hi @edward_spg and sorry for the trouble here.

The { wireframe macro will work only if there is already a project file on the Confluence page.

If there isn’t a project file, you would have to add one using the insert menu (…) indeed. We are planning on improving this in the future, and I’m adding your vote to help to prioritize this request.

Please let us know if you need anything else, we’re here to help.

@Virgin

Thank you for the reply - maybe as a transitional solution, you could make it tell users how they can successfully add a mockup, instead of just failing with a message that they will not be able to interpret. For example adding a link to a knowledge-base article in said message would already help a lot.

Also, by the way, the migration tool does not work on pages with a pipe character (|) in the name, the macro preview will load endlessly and if you look at the connection in browser dev-tools, it will list an HTTP error (400 I think)

Thanks @edward_spg, and thanks for the heads up on that migration issue.

We are going to run some tests on this. Just to verify: are you on the latest version of the addon (4.0.51)?

Also, you can use the + menu to add Wireframes as well. I know this still isn’t exactly what you’re looking for, but it’s another option. :slight_smile:

Just wanted to update this thread to let folks know that we have updated our Confluence Server app to include this functionality. If you install the new version, you should be able to create projects using the {Balsamiq Wireframes} syntax.

Thanks again for the heads up on this @edward_spg!

@Brendan That sounds great, thank you for the support!