Balsamiq Community Discussion

Restore deleted symbols

Hi,
Unintentionally I deleted a symbol massively used in mockups. Is there any way to restore it so I can retrieve my mockups without be obliged to redo them one by one?
I use Balsamiq v3.5.17 on Windows 10 x64.
Thanks in advance.

Hello @Nicolas and welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, when you delete an individual Symbol it’s not moved to the Trash (only whole Symbol Libraries are moved to Trash from where they can be restored). But all may not be lost…

We keep a (hidden) backup of projects in the Local Store Folder which you can access via the About screen (Help > About Balsamiq Mockups):

In there you will see two folder: LocalProjects; UnsavedProjects

Try copying all .BMPR project files out of those folders to a temporary folder then open them one by one and see if there’s a version of your project from before the Symbol deletion.

If not, then I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it’s not possible to undelete the Symbol.

I know it doesn’t help with your issue today but, in the latest version of the desktop app - Balsamiq Wireframes for Desktop - if you delete a Symbol, that action can be undone with . If you’d like to try out Balsamiq Wireframes for Desktop, drop us a line at support@balsamiq.com and I can set you up with an extended trial if you would like.