Retina › Export to PNG

Hello guys :smile:
I have a problem on Retina when exporting to PNG format. The quality of the output is really bad and not sharp as it should be on normal resolution displays. Even on retina the exported PNG looks blury.

Are there any tricks how to export something to Retina and maintain the 100% quality like it is in application?
I was also looking for some options related to PNG export, but there aren’t any.

Thanks.

Hey @Geneosity, sorry for the trouble. We have not optimized our exports for higher quality yet, and it is definitely noticeable on retina screens. It’s on our list for the future, but we don’t have an ETA at this point. Thanks!

@ben any update on this? Considering buying Balsamiq but not without full retina support.

Hi @melvynhills,

We have plans to address this once we go native (which is our main focus right now) because Adobe Air is preventing us from improving it for now. I’ve added your vote for this request to help prioritizing it for the future.

Thanks for taking the time to share your need about this. Please let us know if we can do anything else for you in the meantime, we’re here to help! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the heads up. Any ETA for a native version? :slight_smile:

We are hoping to have a closed beta of the web version this summer, @melvynhills.

Keep an eye on the blog for updates!

Any updates on this? I’m using the native version on OS X, and it’s a bummer that the quality of the PNG exports aren’t higher (in other words; retina ready).

Thanks for checking on this one, @MarijnK.

The Native version (away from Adobe Air) that we are preparing has not been released yet but we’ve just started the beta for our new web version. We’ll try to make it as smooth as possible before the official release and the other products (including a new Desktop version) will follow that.

We want this to be better too. I’m adding your vote for this request, and we’ll be here if you need anything else in the meantime. :slight_smile:

Thanks! Do you have any ETA/roadmap on the new native version? Sounds good.

No ETA yet @MarijnK as it will depend on the “success” of our beta web version first. We’ll make sure to let you all know here once the official native web version (and then the other products) go live.

Thanks @Virgin!

I see that this is an old thread, but I’m noticing the same thing right now with Balsamiq Mockups. (I’m a relatively new user). I’m seeing that my font (using the default Balsamiq Sans font) is blurry when exporting to PNG or PDF, while taking a screenshot from my desktop is much sharper. I’m seeing this on both Mac and Windows.

I’m sorry about that, @spark23. Our current exports are limited to BMP format only, so they don’t look wonderful on high DPI screens.

This will be a lot better soon as exports in the new version of our apps are all SVG (with selectable text). :slight_smile:

Super, thanks for the reply! Can’t wait for that update…

Any update on this?

Hi @newton1988 and thanks for checking on this one.

We’re still working on our next major Desktop version and hope to have it ready in 2018.

That being said, we’ve recently released our new native web version, Balsamiq Cloud, that has better PDF export quality.

Feel free to try it out in the meantime. You can sign up for a free trial from this page.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile: