Balsamiq Community Discussion

State of accordion as Symbol

Hi

I’m using an accordion as a navigation side menu in my project. The same accordion gets used on multiple wireframes. I created a symbol from it, so I, whenever I need to change it (e.g. when I add a new wireframe to the project), I don’t have to edit it in every single wireframe. So basically, the state of the accordion is different in every wireframe, namely the selection parameter - it should reflect through “selection” which wireframe I’m currently in. Now, when I use the symbol, it seems that I am not able to change the selection parameter in it’s single instances. is that correct? Is there another way to solve that?

Thanks!

Jan

You should be able to @jharp.

If you double click the symbol instance that you want to change, you should be able to override the symbol instance and make changes. The only sticking point with that is anything you override can no longer be affected by the symbol source.

If that isn’t working, would you be able to either post or email us a screenshot of what you’re trying to override? That may give us a better sense as to what’s going on, and how we can fix it. :).

Thanks for the feedback Brendan.
I already figured out that I can override single instances. However, in my case, the accordion should still be affected by changes to the symbol. Otherwise I can just copy paste the control from one frame to the next as wel.
I think, it would make sense, to be able to override the “Selection” property of the accordion. If I’m not mistaken, it is intended to be used as a menu and - since it has the “Selection” property - it is meant to have different states on different Frames while at the same time be “the same menu in every frame". Maybe I’m wrong…I attached two screenshots to visualize. The mentioned accordion is on the left.

Thanks!!

Jan

You should absolutely be able to override the selection, @jharp.

In this picture, the overridden symbol is on the right. I overrode the selection of the symbol on the right and then added 2 sections (Item 5 and Sub-Item 2.3) to the symbol source. As you can see, the overridden symbol picked up both of those changes, while keeping the overrides. This sounds like what you’re trying to do (assuming I’m understanding), is that right?

If so, would it be possible to email me your project, so that I can take a look?

Symbols can get finicky with overriding, especially with text. Things that you don’t think

Hi Brendan

You’re right. Sorry for the bother. Don’t know why I did not get it working the first time.

Thanks a lot for your help (and patience) :wink:
Jan

No need to apologize at all, my friend.

A couple of months ago, I couldn’t figure out why an overridden symbol wasn’t being updated by the source. Took me 2 hours to figure out that I had a space in the field I was trying to override.

Symbols can be finicky. :slight_smile:

If you run into any other questions or issues, don’t hesitate to give us a shout. We are here to help however we can.

Until then, I hope you have an easy rest of your week, @jharp!