Stuck saving thumbnails

Does anyone else run into issues where the app basically locks itself because it’s unable to auto-save the file>

I don’t even use the thumbnail view for my mockup list.

Because that first project is stuck my other open project is also failing to save

Both files are saved to a mapped network drive which remains accessible.

Hi @Ryan,

Sorry for the trouble with this my friend!

I think that you’re already on the latest version (3.5.5), right?

It sounds like our autosave mechanism doesn’t play well with your network drive, unfortunately. This is one of the reasons we recently introduced the ability to switch to manual save when needed. Would you mind trying to disable the autosave to see if it helps?

Your changes will still be saved to the internal backup file, and they will automatically recover if you close Mockups without remembering to save.

Hopefully, this didn’t corrupt your file but in case it did, please look in those local backups as it should contain a working version of the file.

Hope this helps! Please let us know if this continues to bug you.

Yes I had to kill the task this morning. The first project reopened ok but the second file completely disappeared so had to restore from local backup.

Ugh, I’m really sorry about that @ryan, but I’m glad the local store had a good backup.

I would turn off autosave, and that should prevent this in the future. You are always saving to the local store, so even if you forget to save, we have your back. :slight_smile:

Really sorry again, my friend. Hopefully, turning off autosave will solve the issue for good.

Same for me, it stuck on the first save, so I do not have any backup. Does it mean that I lost several hours of work?

Hi @Marat and sorry for the trouble today.

Have you checked into the local backup folder yet?

If you are using a recent version (version 3.2.1 and above) of Mockups 3 for Desktop, there should be some backup files in there but please let us know if not.

Also, are you saving the file on a network drive by any chance?
If that is the case, I would try to disable the autosave to see if it helps to avoid the issue.

Sorry again for the snag, I’ll stand by for your reply and we’ll go from there.

Just a heads up that I still get stuck on ‘Saving thumbnails…’ fairly often when saving manually - maybe every 5th time or so.

Sorry to hear that this one keeps bugging you, @Ryan.

Have you tried to disable the Autosave mechanisnm, as we suggested when this issue occurred in the first place?

We’ll do our best to help!

Yes have been using manual save for all projects since that suggestion many months ago.

I assume you’re on the latest version (3.5.15), right?

Does this occur with all projects or maybe one in particular?

If so, could you please send your BMPR file to support@balsamiq.com so that we can have a closer look?
We will keep your data strictly confidential and only long enough to try to debug your issue.

Yes am on the latest version. Happens to multiple project files. Some saved on network drive, others are saved locally and synced to OneDrive. Windows 8.1 Pro with 8GB of RAM.

As I don’t use thumbnail view but instead list view it would just be easier (and a lot quicker) to only generate and save thumbnails when that view is used.

Thanks for sharing more details, Ryan.

Are the affected BMPR files relatively big in size?
Also, does that ever happened with a file that is saved locally and not synced?

Sorry again for the hassle. If that works for you, let’s take it to email via support@balsamiq.com as it will be easier to loop in our dev team on this issue if needed.