Unable to install on windows

Balsamiq 2 installs & runs without issue on my machine.
Balsamiq 3 will not install successfully.

I am installing this on a windows 7 machine I have for work. I have administrator rights for the machine.
For 3.0.4 I was able to get Balsamiq 3 to install when i right clicked the installer & used 'Run as Administrator". I ran into issues with 3.0.4 in that it would not open a project file, it would stop at the “Loading project” screen.

After downloading 3.0.5 the installer will not run at all. I download the installer, and open it either with double clicking or using the “Run as administrator” have no affect. I get the security dialog to allow the installer to modify windows, and then nothing happens after that. The installer exe then disappears from the download folder.

I can run Balsamiq 3 by using the adobe air bundled version & just running the exe. This works OK, but I would much rather have the application actually installed.

Sorry for the hassle @minnaert. We’ll take a look and see what we can figure out. Thanks for taking the time to let us know. And I’m glad that you already found the workaround I was going to suggest! :slight_smile:

Hi @minnaert,

Can you please check if you have the latest Adobe Air version installed?
I ask because the installer checks if you have Adobe Air installed. If you do it will check if you have a the latest. I have seen a case where Adobe Air tried to update itself but failed which then stopped our installer.

You can get the latest version of Adobe Air here:
https://get.adobe.com/air/

Please let us know if this resolves the issue.

I checked my Adobe Air installation. I was up to date, no difference in behavior.
I uninstalled & reinstalled Air, no difference in behavior.
I still have the behavior of running the installer, nothing really happening, the the exe file disappears.

With the 3.1.1 release, I was successfully able to install when i used the “Run as administrator” option. Not sure what the change was which caused this to work now, but it seems to be fixed.

Hey everyone. yes I just wanted to confirm this also. When I try to install as administrator (or not) on my windows 7 machine I receive a startup dialog which shows a progress bar. The progress bar reaches the end and then the installation completely disappears and I cannot install. Based off this forum, I downloaded the adobe air combined zip installation and just opened up the mockups 3 exe which worked instantly.

The installer definitely seems broke for mockups 3.3 on windows 7.

Hey @Matt_Ferguson!

Really sorry about the trouble with the installer. When you get a moment, would you shoot us an email to support@balsamiq.com?

We’d love to get to the bottom of this weird bug.

Hey,

The Adobe AIR issue is a common one.Please include some instructions as I also faced this issue.After downloading and installing adobe AIR, the issue was resolved.

Thanks,

Sorry about that @Sam37!

We are getting close to a permanent solution for this one since this issue came up again a short while ago. Be assured that this is the top priority on our to do list!

Thanks for the report! Please let us know if you need anything else.

I’m having an install problem on Windows 7 as well. It appears the install is not putting Balsamiq in the correct location. After the installation appears to have installed successfully, when I try to run the program from the installation dialogue is says: Unable to execute file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Balsamiq Mockups 3\Balsamiq Mockups 3.exe

CreateProcess failed; code 267
The directory name is invalid.

I don’t think the installation is actually installing the program at all because the Balsamiq file does not exist in Program Files (x86) after a seemingly successful installation.

Hi @Jason_Hollins!
Try installation-free version of the Balsamiq: download this ZIP and extract it anywhere.

Thanks for the assist @Alexey_Kolchenko!

Jason reached out over email as well, and we think that the problem will be solved downloading and running this Microsoft tool.

If it doesn’t work, I will come back and update this thread :).