Balsamiq Community Discussion

Unhandled Exception when running Balsamiq Desktop after install Windows 10

Hi there- I downloaded and installed “Balsamiq_Wireframes_4.0.42_x64_Setup.exe” on my Windows 10 system today. The installation was done from a standard user account (non-admin) and it appeared to complete successfully. When I attempt to run the executable, I get an unhandled exception.

Looking at the Event Viewer shows me this:

Application: BalsamiqWireframes.exe
CoreCLR Version: 4.700.20.11803
.NET Core Version: 3.1.3
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.TypeLoadException: Cannot load V8 interface assembly. Load failure information for ClearScriptV8-64.dll:
C:\Users\ian.goodsell\AppData\Local\Programs\Balsamiq\Balsamiq Wireframes\ClearScriptV8-64.dll: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (0x8007000B)
ClearScriptV8-64, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35: Could not load file or assembly ‘ClearScriptV8-64, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35’. The system cannot find the file specified.

So ClearScriptV8-64 is not being packaged with your installer? Any ideas on how I can get this installed?

Thanks -

Hello @iangoodsell and welcome to the forums. Sorry your first post is about an error! Let’s get to the bottom of this…

It looks like ClearScript is installed correctly (C:\Users\ian.goodsell\AppData\Local\Programs\Balsamiq\Balsamiq Wireframes\ClearScriptV8-64.dll) but not loading which is very curious.

Can you please open up the Logs Folder (Help > About Balsamiq Wireframes > Open Logs Folder):

Zip up the contents of the folder and email the zip file to: support@balsamiq.com please?

Which specific version of Windows 10 do you have installed? (Settings > System > About > Windows Specifications)?

You’re right, I verified that ClearScriptV8-64.dll is in the directory you mentioned.

Sadly I can not follow your instructions since I can’t run Wireframe Desktop, it segfaults as soon as it can’t load ClearScript…can you tell me where the logs folder should be located? I looked in some obvious places but didn’t see anything.

Here’s the version information listed in the System Information utility:

Thanks for your help –

Oh and since you’re in contact with support, here is the complete call stack:

Application: BalsamiqWireframes.exe
CoreCLR Version: 4.700.20.11803
.NET Core Version: 3.1.3
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.TypeLoadException: Cannot load V8 interface assembly. Load failure information for ClearScriptV8-64.dll:
C:\Users\ian.goodsell\AppData\Local\Programs\Balsamiq\Balsamiq Wireframes\ClearScriptV8-64.dll: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (0x8007000B)
ClearScriptV8-64, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35: Could not load file or assembly ‘ClearScriptV8-64, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35’. The system cannot find the file specified.
at Microsoft.ClearScript.V8.V8Proxy.LoadAssembly()
at Microsoft.ClearScript.V8.V8Proxy.LoadAssemblyWithIJWHostLibrary()
at Microsoft.ClearScript.V8.V8Proxy.GetAssembly()
at Microsoft.ClearScript.V8.V8Proxy.GetImplType(Type type)
at Microsoft.ClearScript.V8.V8Proxy.CreateImpl[T](Object args)
at Microsoft.ClearScript.V8.V8IsolateProxy.Create(String name, V8RuntimeConstraints constraints, V8RuntimeFlags flags, Int32 debugPort)
at Microsoft.ClearScript.V8.V8Runtime…ctor(String name, V8RuntimeConstraints constraints, V8RuntimeFlags flags, Int32 debugPort)
at Microsoft.ClearScript.V8.V8Runtime…ctor(String name, V8RuntimeConstraints constraints, V8RuntimeFlags flags)
at Microsoft.ClearScript.V8.V8Runtime…ctor(String name, V8RuntimeConstraints constraints)
at Microsoft.ClearScript.V8.V8ScriptEngine…ctor(V8Runtime runtime, String name, V8RuntimeConstraints constraints, V8ScriptEngineFlags flags, Int32 debugPort)
at Microsoft.ClearScript.V8.V8ScriptEngine…ctor(String name, V8RuntimeConstraints constraints, V8ScriptEngineFlags flags, Int32 debugPort)
at Microsoft.ClearScript.V8.V8ScriptEngine…ctor(String name, V8RuntimeConstraints constraints, V8ScriptEngineFlags flags)
at Microsoft.ClearScript.V8.V8ScriptEngine…ctor(String name, V8RuntimeConstraints constraints)
at Microsoft.ClearScript.V8.V8ScriptEngine…ctor()
at BalsamiqWireframesCommon.JVM.JVMHost…ctor(ILogService logService) in c:\jenkins\workspace\BW\bwwin-4.0\BalsamiqWireframesCommon\JVM\JVMHost.cs:line 25
at BalsamiqWireframesCommon.JVM.JVMClient…ctor(ILogService logService, IRunService runService) in c:\jenkins\workspace\BW\bwwin-4.0\BalsamiqWireframesCommon\JVM\JVMClient.cs:line 20
at BalsamiqWireframesCommon.Host.AllHosts…ctor(IContext context, IMainWindowController mainWindowController) in c:\jenkins\workspace\BW\bwwin-4.0\BalsamiqWireframesCommon\Host\AllHosts.cs:line 37
at BalsamiqWireframes.MainWindow.StartJS(Object data) in c:\jenkins\workspace\BW\bwwin-4.0\Balsamiq Wireframes\MainWindow.xaml.cs:line 380
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c.b__139_1(Object state)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.<>c.<.cctor>b__6_0(QueueUserWorkItemCallback quwi)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunForThreadPoolUnsafe[TState](ExecutionContext executionContext, Action`1 callback, TState& state)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.Execute()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Sorry @iangoodsell.

You can find it in: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Balsamiq\Balsamiq Wireframes\logs

So, specifically for you, C:\Users\ian.goodsell\AppData\Roaming\Balsamiq\Balsamiq Wireframes\logs

No problem, thanks for the quick responses!

I found the logs directory and will send it to the address listed above.

As a side note, when I’ve seen that error before (although I admit it’s been a while since I worked in Visual Studio), it was usually because the Platform Target in the project settings was set incorrectly.

Thanks @iangoodsell. Can you take a look in your installed apps (Settings > Apps) and see if “Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable” is installed?

It is not! I have a number of other ones (including 2017) but not 2015. Could that be the problem?

What’s the version of the 2017 package installed?

I have both the x64 and x86 versions installed - same version:

1 Like

Hi,

I had the exact same issue as the gentlemen who started this thread. (I have a freshly installed Windows10 computer so I didn’t have any of the C++ packages installed.

I installed https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads and it’s working for me now!

Thanks
Chris

2 Likes

This is what solved my problem too. I’ve been happily wireframing ever since!

Thanks to Balsamiq for their great responsive support.

1 Like