Use system font setting is not saved between sessions in MyBalsamiq


#1

MyBalsamiq is not saving the setting to use system fonts between sessions. So every time I re-open a project, I need to manually set MyBalsamiq to use system fonts.

I’m using Chrome on Linux. Flash storage and cookies are allowed for *.balsamiq.com and *.mybalsamiq.com.

At my previous employer we used Balsamiq for Desktop and there this setting was preserved between sessions, so I expected this to be the case as well in MyBalsamiq.


#2

Sorry about the trouble, @frank!

I did some testing with my Ubuntu install using Chrome 55.0.2883.87 and was unable to reproduce this.

When you change the font, are you presented with the option to save upon exiting the editor? This is what should pop up:

If you’re not seeing the option to save after changing the font, let me know, and we will dig deeper. Sorry again for any frustration this has caused you!


#3

Hi @Brendan, no need to be so apologetic about it! :slight_smile: Let’s see if we can troubleshoot this issue.

If I only change the font setting with an existing mockup in the editor, this does not register as a change in the app and I do not get a Save option when I exit the editor.

I have tried disabling all browser plugins, but this does not appear to have any impact.

I have the most current Chrome from my repositories, which is the same as you tested: Version 55.0.2883.87 (64-bit).

I will test this later tonight with another machine at home as well.


#4

Very weird, Frank. I wonder why you’re not seeing the save option after switching the font.

Would you mind testing a different browser (if you have another with flash installed)? I’d like to see if the issue is related to Chrome itself, or something on the OS level.

If you would prefer, you can shoot me an email and we can go back and forth there. Might be easier than the forums - but I’m happy to use whatever is easiest for you. :slight_smile:


#5

Ah, interesting! I created a new project, created a new Mockup, changed the font setting and lo and behold:

So the functionality actually works, but not on this one project I am working on.


#6

Hrm, I wonder why.

Do you mind if I take a look at the project, Frank? We wouldn’t share your information with anyone outside the team, and wouldn’t poke around for longer than we needed to figure out the issue.

If that is ok with you, I would just need the project name. I have pulled up the site already. :slight_smile:


#7

Sure, I have send you a message with the details.


#8

In case anyone stumbles upon this post. The problem was with the local Flash cache of Google Chrome on a Linux install. It was solved by deleting the Flash cache and settings files manually.

Procedure

  • close browser
  • remove directory ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Pepper Data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/{random string}/assets.mybalsamiq.com
  • remove directory ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Pepper Data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/{random string}/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#assets.mybalsamiq.com
  • remove directory ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Pepper Data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/{random string}/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#{your username}.mybalsamiq.com
  • remove file ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Pepper Data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/{random string}/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/settings.sol

The directories and files will be recreated by the browser next time you start the browser and visit your MyBalsamiq account.