V3 is fantastic, but please fix a usability problem with Notes

Hi
Great job on V3 project handling is great and you have made so many improvements from V2 I cant count them.

But I am encountering a usability problem with notes. I am writing story boards for a new project and using the notes panel to write down my story notes for each slide which itself works well; I can click in and out of the notes panel and make changes to the notes and the wireframe in a nice fluid way and changes to the notes are autosaved . This is until I want to check back to another slide, the natural thing to do is to click into the mockups list and select the slide I want, then Balsamiq’s click out behaviour changes and it discards any change I made to the notes (sometimes quite large ones). Please fix this it is driving me nuts!

Another useful change in this this area would be to allow the notes text to be copied to the clipboard without having to click into the editor, you can select the text but it doesn’t seem to copy, If that isn’t possible the perhaps make it unselectable until you click in?

Despite this problem it is still a great tool which I love using.

Thanks

Hi @Stromatolyte,

Sorry for the hassle with this.

This issue has actually been fixed in a previous release and you are also able to copy the notes text to the clipboard if needed.
This makes me think you might not be running the latest version (3.1.9) of our little tool, which is available here: https://balsamiq.com/download

Updating to the latest should put an end to this issue. :wink:

Thanks for the kind words on our little tool, glad to hear you enjoy using it! :smile:

Please let us know if you need any further help with this, we’ll be happy to help.

Hi
Great, thanks for the response. I am running 3.1.3 so I will upgrade and give it a try.
Cheers

Hi there,

I also have a suggestion for the Notes Area. For my current project I’m using this feature a lot, and sometimes I write really long notes. In the editor view there is a scroll bar, so everything is fine, but in the regular view there is no scroll bar and bottom parts of my long notes are cut. So I’d love to have a scroll bar for my notes in both views, so that I don’t have to open the editor in order to read everything written.

And the second point is, I agree with @Stromatolyte’s second suggestion. When I want to copy something from a note, I’d like to be able to do that without opening the editor. I believe, it could save some time, as, e.g. the font size in editor is bigger and then you need to search for a correct part of a note again, or just because it saves some clicks.

And of course the suggestion of @neeklamy in this topic about using the synthaxis of text widgets in the notes is really great, now just some parts of this synthaxis is working.

I’d really appreciate if you consider some of those ideas regarding the Notes feature :blush:

Good to hear from you again @Liubi,

Your first two points make total sense so I added both as feature requests in our internal tracker and we will further discuss these internally. If anyone would like it to be implemented too, please add you comment here.

You may know already know but you can already scroll down using a scroll wheel or gesture if you use a trackpad for example, but again a scrollbar would definitely be handy.

I also added your vote for the text formatting syntax request, that will help us to prioritize it for the future.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback, as always! Keep it coming! :smile:

Hi @Liubi,

We just released our latest official version (3.3.1) including a new scrollbar to the Mockup Notes section.

Thanks again for sharing this great idea with us! :smile:

You can get the new version (3.3.1) here:
https://balsamiq.com/download/

And the complete release notes are here:
http://blogs.balsamiq.com/product/2015/12/02/3-3/

Waou, I’m pretty impressed of your organization : bug reported on day 1, fixed a month later!
I’d love being able to do that my my software :slightly_smiling:
I also found a small bug with the note panel: if you try to delete some text using Ctrl+backspace (backspace = top right <-- key), the word is deleted but a weird rectangular character appears.

Thanks,

Thanks for the kind words @David :smile:

We will get this fixed! I’m sorry about that.

Thank you Brendan for your reply.
I just saw it is the same in the Rename mockup popup … in case you can handle this too :slightly_smiling:

Hi @David,

Sure thing! We’ll get this one fixed too, thanks for the report!

Wishing you a happy new year! :slightly_smiling:

Hi @Stromatolyte and @Liubi,

Another update here: we just released our latest official version (3.3.14) including the ability to copy/paste mockup and project notes without having to edit them, handy!

Thanks again for the report friends! :slight_smile:

The new version (3.3.14) is available here.
And the complete release notes are here if needed.

Hi @David,

We just released our latest official version (3.4.2) and the annoying rectangle character shouldn’t appear anymore when using Delete and CTRL+Delete. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the report!

The new version (3.4.2) is available here.
And the complete release notes are here if needed.

Hi @Virgin,
no it does appear, when I use CTRL+DEL trying to rename alternate versions :scream:

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again…

We will get it fixed! Sorry we missed that, @Liubi :frowning: