Balsamiq Community Discussion

Zoom > Actual size

Zoom > Actual size should not move the current view to the default top-left but should just zoom in or out on the center of the current screen.

Hey @Vaclav_Kocian! Hope things have been going well, my friend :slight_smile:

So the way that Zoom to Actual Size works can seem a little strange, but we think it makes a lot of sense.

Basically, the zoom should try to keep whatever control is in the upper left corner before the zoom. So, for instance, if you are zoomed in and have a browser control in the upper left corner, zooming to actual size should try to keep the browser control in the upper left corner.

Does that make sense?

Let me know if you are seeing something different, Vaclav, and we will dig deeper!

Hi @Brendan, actually the current behavior doesn’t make much sense because in case of the big mockup (as I usualy work with big mockups) this command sends you away from your current view.

Currently (middle column) the view is always shifted to the top left corner. What would be nice (right column) is that the zoom would respect the current position and the start and the finish view would be aligned to the center both horizontally and vertically.

Here’re my thoughts summarized:

I’m with @Vaclav_Kocian
+1 to this feature request, please! It is the same behaviour in Sketch, Overview

Hey @Gemmy and @Vaclav_Kocian, I’m really sorry that I didn’t say something about this when it was posted a year ago.

First, Valcav, thanks for that excellent image. That really helped me visualize what you were looking for.

We changed the way zoom to actual size works in our Balsamiq Wireframes editor, so these changes will be coming to the Desktop app in the next major version. You can test it now in any of our web apps (but not Balsamiq Cloud - we broke the zoom menu - fix is being released tomorrow :grimacing:).

Let me know if that works better for you both.

I think the reason why (just guessing) Actual Size set view to upper left corner because the product expect user to have 1 screen per mockup/alternate version?

Actually I find it quite useful when there’s only 1 screen per mockup/alternate version. The feature “Actual Size” is helpful in this case for me to zoom in zoom out.

However, when it comes to working on screen flow, with multiple screens on 1 mockup/alternate version, “Actual Size” is not really helpful for me to navigate around the canvas.

I would suggest to have them both
“Actual Size” <-- a new feature as described by Vaclav.
“Reset view” <-- which zoom to the upper left corner.

:smiley:

Hi @Brendan, I must admit that I lost my faith in Balsamiq quite some time ago and switched completely to Sketch. The pace of any changes is simply too slow and the tool itself is good but only if you use it precisely the way you intended. I also work with huge mockups and then the response time of the sw is quite slow.

Sorry to hear that, @Vaclav_Kocian, but we definitely want you to be using the tool that fit your needs the best.

On a side note: we’re actively working on reducing the loading time of large projects in our new editor, Balsamiq Wireframes, which is available already in all our browser-based versions. New Desktop versions are coming later this year.